Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Savory Cheese Rolls

I'm reposting this because my mom said the recipe was too vague and the pictures didn't do the recipe justice. So here's the edited version with better directions and better pictures! Love ya, Mom!

Looking for a cheap and delicious recipe to try for this weekend's big game? Or how about something a little different to serve with a hot bowl of soup? My sister told me they make something like these cheese rolls at her high school, so I thought I'd give it a whirl and I'll tell you, they are really yummy. The dough is pillowy soft and the cheese gets all crusty and cooked....ah, I'm drooling.

The recipe is:

TBSP sugar
1 tsp salt
4 cups flour
1 1/8 cup water
1/8 cup powdered milk (I use Morning Moo)
1/4 cup butter
1 egg
2 tsp yeast

Prepare the dough in the bread machine or KitchenAid and let raise to double.

Roll dough into a big rectangle, just like you would for cinnamon rolls. Spread butter over all the dough. (I didn't in the picture....didn't realize I was out when I started making them. The finished rolls were not as good as normal without the butter, so make sure you add it!) Sprinkle with cheese and seasonings. Starting at the long end of the rectangle, roll tightly just like when you make cinnamon rolls. Cut into slices and raise for 20 minutes or so. Bake at 350 until golden brown and bubbly.

Touchdown!

And just FYI, this is one of the things we had at our SuperBowl party LAST year. This year we're making Peanut Butter Cup Popcorn, Jalepeno Poppers, In-N-Out Copycat Burgers, Cream Cheese Stuffed Pretzels and 7-Layer Dip. And no, I'm NOT making that all myself. We're partying with two other families and have divided up the dishes. Can't wait! I could care less about football, but I love any excuse for a party!

6 comments:

  1. I made these a couple of months ago and mine didn't turn out as tasty as they looked in the picture. Maybe the dough makes a difference. I used French Bread dough...is yours just roll dough?
    Looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so do you mean Melted butter or just softened? And by 1/8 of a cup powdered milk, do you mean mix it up to a liquid first??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you use melted butter or just softened? Also, do you mix the powered milk up first? or add it dry?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly,

    I used softened butter because it stays in the folds of the dough better than melted butter. I add the DRY milk powder straight to the mixer WITHOUT mixing it with water. Hope that helps!

    And Beth, the dough makes a HUGE difference. Adding lots of butter makes a big difference too. They turn out so much better when you add lots of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there any way to make this with regular milk and cutting back water. I don't own any powdered milk and don't want to buy some just for 1/8 cup :\ These look great and I'm pretty sure my kids would love em!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ambivalent Woman You bet! Just do 7/8 cup milk and 1/4 cup water instead of the water and powdered milk listed in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments will post after approval.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...